Sunday, December 27, 2009

Walking the Labyrinth

There is a Labyrinth in the cathedral in Chartres France. It is a marvelous place to do a walking meditation. There are other labyrinths in many places in the world. The one I went to today is a replica of the one in Chartres; it is located in Milton Delaware near Rehobeth Beach. It is on a pleasant lavender farm in the country. My wife, myself, and a dear friend went there on a bright Sunday afternoon. To my surprise we were the only ones there, I had expected some people to have the same idea since it was the first warm dry day in several weeks.

As I walked through the maze on the floor I became centered in the here and now. The only sound was the sound of the steps each of us made. As I entered the center of the maze I felt completely balanced and at peace. I felt transported to the cathedral in Chartres; it was a magical moment for me. I was seeing the cathedral as though I was there. I have seen many pictures of the cathedral and this may explain my vision of it. I felt the sensation of being inside when I was standing in the middle of a field in Delaware. I meditated in the center of the maze for a few minutes then started my trip back to the beginning of the maze walking slowly just enjoying the peace I felt.

When I got back to the beginning of the labyrinth I felt as though a weight had been lifted from my soul. I was free from some of the pain I carried for my past. For the first time in a long while I felt that things are going to work out. That was one of the gifts I received from my trip into the labyrinth.

In closing I would like to say that the trip into the maze was eye opening and a great pleasure for me. I encourage everyone to find a labyrinth near them and take a similar journey. It may help you find peace.

Peace and Joy to All

No comments: